This blog has offered some posts on IP counterfeiting, but not much on what a law department can to do about it (See my post of March 16, 2010: counterfeit and piracy of goods with 6 references.). Therefore, when InsideCounsel, June 2010 at 74, included the K&L Gates Top of Mind interview with PUMA North America’s general counsel, I noted approvingly the steps his group has taken in North America.
- Make direct contact with PUMA lawyers easy for law enforcement personnel at local, state and Federal levels
- Train PUMA employees about the destructiveness of counterfeiting and what to do to spot and report it
- Keep up with the changing legal landscape
- Hire accomplished private investigators to ferret out producers of counterfeits
- “Cooperate enthusiastically with the prosecutorial community”
- Police the Internet in search of likely counterfeit items
- Work closely with customs officials.