From the standpoint of a typical general counsel, the benchmark surveys you can buy leave several scars and irritations.
- Sometimes subsidiaries submit responses, which skews the results.
- Many questions on the survey may not matter to you.
- Generic questions applicable to all don’t fit the nuances of your industry
- They take forever to complete, irritating staff and administrators.
- The surveyors badger you to take part and then to check or complete answers.
- The surveyors shoehorn participants into industries, sometimes very broad ones.
- They cost an arm and a leg for what you get.
- The time between submission and receipt of the report is months and months.
- Once a year they come out, even though you want data sooner than that.
- The reports generated may only be tables.
- The reports don’t suggest what you might do if your metrics are out of kilter.
- The survey may be bundled with data you don’t care about, such as compensation or performance measurements.
A solution? A targeted benchmark effort where you select the companies and the data. Modestly, I urge you to visit my website and consider a fixed-price offering.